The Birth of a New Blog and The Bad Song Lyrics That Came With It

So....I started a new blog today.

I'm not sure how much I'm going to update it, but I started one. It's a blog for song lyrics I made up.

Let me explain myself. When I was younger, I used to like to write song lyrics, mainly ones related to how much I was struggling with some feelings I had for a certain guy. The song lyrics I'd write wouldn't really have instrumentals to them, considering how I suck at composing music; they were more like poems advertised as song lyrics. With how I've been trying to get back into writing in general lately, I kind of thought that maybe at some point, I could pick writing song-lyric-writing up again. (Hopefully, I can avoid writing so much about that particular guy....) For that purpose, as well as maybe putting some lyrics I wrote in the past on the Internet, I started a song lyric blog.

So far, the only set of lyrics on the blog is one for an original song called "The Orange I See". I don't remember exactly when I wrote these lyrics, but going by the Google Doc I had typed it on, it was definitely no later than October 2019. (I'm pretty sure I wrote them on paper at an earlier point and then typed them onto a Google Doc, but I don't remember for sure.) Because of the title having the word "orange" in it (referring to the color, not the fruit), I made the lyrics in the post on my lyric blog orange. As for why I wrote them....well, actually, it has nothing to do with the guy I mentioned twice already.

You see, back in 2015, I randomly drew a picture of a girl sitting on a stool, playing a guitar, and crying while also smiling. (I don't think I still have it, but if I somehow find it, I'll update this post and add it.) Some time later, I wrote song lyrics that tell the story behind that picture. The story goes like this: The girl is walking in the park one day when she encounters a guy playing a guitar underneath a tree, and she ad-libs lyrics for the song he's playing. Each day after that, she would meet him at that park and give the songs he would play lyrics that she would sing. One day, she comes to the park, but the guy isn't there. After searching for him, the girl discovers that the guy has been hospitalized with an illness that he had been hiding from her, and she rushes there to see him. At the hospital, he gives her his guitar and tells her to "give a voice to (her) own songs" before passing away. In the end, the girl is at the spot where she and the guy would always meet, playing his guitar and singing about their story. Not exactly the most original of stories, but I thought it was good at the time. (If you're wondering whether or not this is a love story, I don't even know myself, as the lyrics I wrote at the time kept that aspect ambiguous. The guy does refer to the girl as "my dear" at one point, though. Draw your own conclusions from that.)

My ideas for the story surrounding that picture didn't stop there, however. I wanted to adapt the song into a short film; I had planned to film it over the following summer at a park that's really close to my house. Unfortunately, those plans never came to fruition due to things like the person I wanted playing the part of the guy turning down the role and my inabilities to compose music or play guitar. (Yeah, I was going to cast myself as the girl. The girl I originally drew coincidentally looked a lot like me, so it made sense.) If I had been able to film this movie, though, there were two different directions I had thought about going with it: a silent movie with an instrumental version of the original song playing in the background the whole time (it would have been directed in a way that the whole movie could have fit within the song) or a movie with spoken lines and more songs written for it than just the original one. The story went that the girl would sing lyrics for the songs that the guy would play on his guitar, so it would make sense, right?

That's where "The Orange I See" finally comes into play.

I'm pretty sure I had already given up on the whole movie idea by the time I wrote these lyrics, but nevertheless, I wrote "The Orange I See" as one of the songs that the two characters of the story would create together. At some point, I came up with the idea that right before she met the guy, the girl would have just been cheated on by her boyfriend, resulting in a messy break-up; the first set of lyrics she would sing to the guy's guitar playing would have been about her feelings regarding that. I'd imagine that the guy would have been playing a sad and frustrated tune at that time because he would have been diagnosed with his illness that day, so even though the reasons behind each character's sadness would have been different, it still would have matched the spontaneous lyrics the girl would sing. That first meeting is the meaning behind the first verse of The Orange I See; the girl's world turned gray because of the break-up with her ex, but the guy became a ray of light for her. From there, as she spent more time with the guy, her world started to regain its color. He made her able to smile again after she had to move on from her past relationship.

When I was typing this song up for the blog, I kind of questioned why the verses had to do with colors so much, but thinking about it, I remember why now. I still don't get why the chorus is the way it is, though. I mean, the chorus is pretty much all about the possibility that the girl and the guy will have to part someday. I mean, I know why I wrote the chorus that way; although the girl doesn't know that the guy is sick at this point, the chorus is meant to foreshadow his impeding death. The problem is.... I don't know. I don't really think that the verses and the chorus come together that well. That, combined with some pretty weak rhymes, makes for a not-so-great song. Still, the lyrics for all of the songs they'd create together are meant to be ad-libbed, including The Orange I See, so I guess it works out?

So yeah, I made a blog for song lyrics I write. Along with completely original lyrics, I hope to also post song parodies and lyrics I make up for instrumental songs on that blog. I'm just going to say this right now; if anyone wants to take any set of lyrics I write on that blog and make them into a real song, go ahead! Given how much I suck at composing songs, I'd love to see someone with actual composition skills take a crack at making my lyrics into actual songs! Oh, and feel free to rewrite the lyrics in ways that would make more sense than what I wrote, too! All I ask for in return is that you ask for my permission first, post a YouTube video of the song, give me credit for the lyrics, and find some way to send me the link to the video with the song in it. Even if my lyrics aren't good enough for that to happen, though, it would be nice to post those lyrics onto my new blog nevertheless!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Anime That I Will NEVER Watch + Top 5 Anime That I Will NEVER Finish

My Biggest Complaint About HuniePop + A HuniePop Visual Novel?

Top 10 Visual Novels I Want To Play